Dog food reviews are an invaluable tool when you’re deciding what makes the best solution for your beloved pet.
After all, you can’t taste dog food yourself, right?
To help you out and to simplify your buying decision, we’ve collated 3 of the very best foods across these 5 categories:
• Dry Food
• Wet Food
• Raw Food
• Veterinary Diet Food
• Human-Grade Food
We’ll get right down to business now and get started with the best dry kibble on the market…
Researching unbiased dog food reviews can save your pet’s life. Whether you’re a new pet owner or someone who has had animals their entire life, do you know what food is right for your dog? Today I’m going to show you the best quality dog food for your pet because lousy dog food can harm pets for the longevity of their life. Having pets can positively impact our lives and ultimately save individuals with mental health issues.
WHY UNBIASED DOG FOOD REViews?
I have had pets for over 20 years. I love them to death. Growing up, I knew people who would feed their dogs whatever is on sale or the cheapest without worrying about their dog’s health. Mistakenly with my first dog, I did the same I didn’t know her little body couldn’t break down protein due to ignorance she began to bald and itch. After conducting thorough research, I found chicken was the wrong choice for my pug. She couldn’t handle high protein food. Don’t make this mistake.
It hurts knowing this that every website on the internet doesn’t have unbiased dog food reviews. Dogs give us so much in our lives. From the funny faces when they hear your whistle to the playful acts. The least we can do, as owners, is give them proper nutrition.
Whether your dog eats dry food exclusively or you like to mix some kibble in with wet food, our dry dog food reviews should give you some inspiration.
Taste of the Wild creates formulas to give your dog the kind of diet they would enjoy if left to roam and fend for themselves.
Kicking off with real buffalo as the first ingredient, things are off to a strong start. Proteins from a range of premium meats and complex carbs coming from legumes and sweet potatoes will fill your pup with energy.
Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids need to be properly balanced and you’ll get plenty of omega-6 sourced from plants to ensure the omega-3 from smoked salmon and salmon oil stays in check. The result of this ideally calibrated mix will be clear to see in your dog’s coat.
The best ingredients are useless if your dog can’t properly absorb them, though. Prebiotics and probiotics laced in guarantee your pet the live and active cultures necessary for proper digestion.
Chelated minerals ensure that they easily attach to proteins maximizing the benefit your dog will reap from this first-class dry dog food.
If you’re looking to give your dog a daily treat and a natural diet based on top-tier ingredients, this dry food is a solid choice.
- Treat your dog to real buffalo as the primary ingredient along with a broad spread of high-quality protein sources
- K9 probiotics help with easy digestion
- Chelated minerals optimize the absorption of nutrients
Blue Buffalo’s Wilderness is a grain-free dry dog food packed full of protein from high-quality sources so your dog gets a taste sensation along with all the macronutrients essential for peak health.
The key selling point of this formula is the way it’s been created to mimic the diet of wolves. That means oodles of protein, just enough carbs, and fruit rich in antioxidants.
Protein comes from the deboned chicken as well as turkey meal and chicken meal. Not all protein is created equal and Blue Buffalo ensures that it only comes from the highest quality ingredients.
The same can be said for carbs and, in place of sourcing these from grains, this formula draws from potatoes, sweet potatoes, and peas to energize your dog throughout the day.
Complementing these macros, your dog will enjoy cranberries, blueberries, and carrots, all rich in antioxidants.
Suitable for adult dogs of all breeds, this formula will have your dog howling for more.
- Complex carbs from grain-free sources for long-lasting energy
- Protein sourced from deboned chicken along with chicken and turkey meal to promote lean muscle and the maintenance of your dog’s physique
- No grains and no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives either
The quality of a dog food lies in the first ingredient and Purina Pro serves your dog up with real chicken to kick off a roll call of prime sources.
With 382 balanced calories per cup, your dog will have the energy he needs for the day and the protein needed to maintain muscle mass and overall health.
This blended food gives your dog the benefits of dry food combined with shredded wet morsels to get your dog’s lips licking.
Rich in omega-6 fatty acids crucial for coat and skin health, live probiotics make sure your furball has no problems with digestion.
For a balanced and nutrient-rich dry food with a twist, Purina Pro is an enduring favorite for good reason. Introduce your dog to this and you’ll end your search for the best dog food.
- Real chicken as the first ingredient bathes your dog in high caliber protein-packed with flavor
- Precisely calculated 26% protein ratio along with just the right amount of carbs and fats
- Filled with live probiotics to streamline digestion and ensure your dog gets the very most out of his food
Some dogs insist upon wet food and for others, it forms a nice supplement to kibble. If you’re looking for some delicious formulas with a huge fan-base, look no further than these outstanding wet formulas.
American Journey’s wet stew formulas lead off with chicken or beef as a valuable source of protein.
Grains, corn, wheat, and soy make poor sources of carbohydrate for your dog. The grain-free formula rolled out by American Journey gives your pet all the energy he needs for the day ahead without bloating.
If your dog bristles at dry food, this appetizing wet formula comes with a savory stew your dog will be lapping up as he munches into the meat.
You’ll get no grain, wheat or soy and there’s no poultry by-product used either. The food is also blissfully free of coloring, flavoring, and preservatives giving your dog the next best thing to a wild diet without forcing him to leave the comfort of home.
- Real meat as the first ingredient, this grain-free food gives your dog everything he needs and nothing he doesn’t
- Packed with vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and fatty acids to give your dog’s coat and skin health a boost
- Tasty broth with plenty of carrots as a healthy source of carbs
If your dog has any form of allergy or sensitivity, you’ve likely encountered problems with a number of commercial dog foods. The sheer volume of ingredients means the chance of an allergic reaction is pretty high. Natural Balance fix this problem by cutting the ingredients of this formula to the bone.
There’s no corn, wheat or soy to bloat and irritate your dog. Grain-free and pea-free, this food is easy to digest even for a small puppy.
Vitamins A and B12 come together to consolidate your dog’s immune system and overall health.
This is a particularly versatile food that’s good for all shapes and sizes of any breed at all ages. It’s a smart choice if you’ve got a multi-dog household and you’re looking for a one-stop wet food solution.
Real chicken as the leading ingredient is the jewel in the crown of this outstanding wet food ideal for sensitive dogs.
- If your dog has allergies or sensitivities, the limited ingredients used for this formula minimizes the chance of any irritation
- Blended with absorption in mind so your dog will get the most from all nutrients
- Works well with all breeds from puppies through to adult dogs
Celebrity chef Rachael Ray brings all that expertise to bear in this wet dog stew inspired by her own recipes.
Available in chicken, lamb or beef stew, the protein-rich food is enough to get your dog salivating.
As you’d expect from a health-conscious chef, you’ll get no-nonsense in this formula. There’s none of the cheap filling or artificial flavoring and coloring that can wreak havoc with allergies. You won’t get any meat or poultry by-products either. Glutens, corn, and soy are all left out of the equation, too.
If your dog suffers from allergies, obesity or digestion issues, Nutrish could be just what you’ve been hunting for to save the day.
These chunks of wet meat in gravy make a neat fit for all breeds, sized and life stages at an affordable price-point.
- All recipes lead off with real meat to satisfy your dog’s innate cravings
- No fillers, meat by-products, flavors or preservatives to mar the mix
- Chicken, beef or lamb should satisfy all palates
Inject a dose of the wild into your beloved pet’s diet with some raw food from the best in the industry.
Many breeds suffer from sensitivities and allergies which can make feeding awkward. With just a single ingredient, Stewart Pro serves up a freeze-dried approximation of raw liver that will have your dog toeing the line and waiting for the next treat.
Tailor-made for all sizes and breeds, this liver is best reserved for adult dogs.
As you’d expect from this 100% liver treat, you’ll get no soy, gluten, corn or cheap fillers of any kind.
Either feed to your dog directly or mix up in their regular kibble when they deserve a special treat. This can be a neat way of enticing a picky eater to munch down the dry food they need.
- 100% raw liver with no artificial flavorings or additives
- With just a single ingredient, these treats are perfect for pups with allergies or sensitivities
- The freeze-dried nature locks in all the taste and flavor of fresh, raw liver to give your pooch a genuine treat
Every dog needs a treat and PureBites allows you to dole out treats without impacting on your dog’s waistline. Loaded with protein from pure freeze-dried chicken breast, there are only 3 calories per treat.
Since the chicken is freeze-dried, all the water might be gone but the flavor and aroma are cunningly preserved. Your dog will enjoy the texture and the taste of the real thing with no nasty additives or preservatives thrown into the mix.
If you fancy using these treats as a training tool, snap them down into smaller pieces and they make a great tempting positive reinforcement weapon.
Sourced and produced in the USA, PureBites is an industry legend and your dog would thank you for these treats if he could.
- These treats pack a great deal of protein at the expense of just 3 calories a nibble
- Single-ingredient treats reduce any chance of irritation
- Grain-free and gluten-free for an all-natural way to reward your pooch
Meal mixers are multi-purpose and allow you to supplement wet food or to set down alone as a balanced and nutritious meal to keep your dog going for hours.
Protein is sourced from grass-fed beef and you’ll get no low-quality carbs either. Organic fruit and veg combines with the other premium ingredients to replicate the diet your dog would eat left to his own devices in the wild. Organs and bone thrown in make give you the convenience of a freeze-dried preparation married to the advantages of raw food.
If your pooch has a sensitive stomach – and, let’s face it, so many dogs do – the probiotics in this formula means the kibble will slip down a treat before being absorbed and digested efficiently and easily.
If your dog has a taste for raw food and you’re looking to supplement his diet on a regular basis, invest in a pack of these mixers and you’ll regret not doing so sooner.
- Grass-fed beef as an impeccable protein source alongside organic fruit and veg for a grain-free shot of carbs
- Works well as a complete meal or mixed with kibble
- Laden with probiotics so your dog can readily digest these treats
Veterinary Diet Food
If your dog needs specialist food on the vet’s orders, here are 3 smart choices…
If your dog has a sensitive stomach and is prone to gastrointestinal issues, you need to buy food with that in mind.
Many vets will authorize the use of one of many special foods like Royal Canin’s Veterinary Diet line so speak with your vet and see what they feel.
This formula is protein-heavy with all sources chosen for their ease of digestion. The addition of prebiotics helps ease the digestive process and reduces the chance of an upset stomach.
Antioxidants are blended in so your dog’s immune system gets a shot of what it needs.
This dry dog food is suitable for all sizes and breeds of adult dog.
Note: You will need a veterinary authorization to purchase this food.
- Prebiotics and digestible proteins means an end to problems with your dog’s sensitive stomach
- Low in fat since many dogs struggle digesting too much of this
- Fatty acids help to soothe your dog’s digestive tract
Just because your dog is following a specialized diet, there’s no reason to deprive him of all treats.
Hill’s Prescription Diet Treats come in a crunchy form that’s great for your pooch’s teeth while delivering a taste sensation.
With protein coming from hydrolyzed chicken liver, your dog shouldn’t suffer from any unwanted reactions. Low in fat and with all the vitamins and minerals your dog needs for his overall health, this antioxidant-studded formula is well worth your further investigation.
Note: You will need a veterinary authorization to purchase this food.
- Hydrolyzed chicken liver protein ensures your dog gets the fuel needed for muscle health and the energy for a vigorous lifestyle
- Brimming with minerals and vitamins that will shine through in your dog’s coat and skin
- Crunch treats are not just tasty but wonderful for your dog’s dental hygiene
If your dog has sensitive skin, itches or suffers from digestive problems, finding the right food can be a tiresome affair. Royal Canin delivers fully with this hydrolyzed protein dry food specifically designed for dogs with allergies and sensitivities.
By including protein in smaller forms, you should find your dig sidesteps stomach upsets and his skin shouldn’t play up either.
The formula comes with plenty of fiber and prebiotics to optimize digestion and keep any outbreaks to an absolute minimum.
Pea-free and with limited ingredients, keep your dog interested in his food but make sure it’s designed with his sensitive stomach in mind.
Note: You will need a veterinary authorization to purchase this food.
- Formula packed with small proteins to minimize the chance of an upset stomach
- Designed to encourage skin health and to keep inflammation down
- 304 calories per cup so your pooch will get plenty of power
Human Grade Food
We fully understand your dog is part of the family so why not go all-in? Treat your pooch to human-grade food and you’ll never look back.
If you like the idea of feeding your beloved pet some home-cooked meals but you don’t have the time to cook for them separately, Tylee’s gives you the next best thing.
The human-grade ingredients are processed as little as possible and your dog will soon be eating as well as you are. All you need to do is defrost these recipes and serve as a standalone meal or add to your dog’s kibble,
Protein comes from beef while carbs are not from cheap grain but instead sourced from sweet potatoes, mango, spinach and zucchini.
Alongside all the macronutrients your dog needs to stay in shape, he’ll benefit from vitamins and minerals too in this powerhouse formula from a brand you can trust.
- Processing kept to the bare minimum for the most natural taste possible
- Made from human-grade ingredients with no grain and no cheap filler of any kind
- Balanced omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acid levels to promote perfect skin and coat health
As we near the end of our dog food reviews, Full Moon’s chicken jerky treats made from real sliced chicken here on US soil.
You’ll get no artificial colorings and flavorings to get in the way of a nutrition-feast for your beloved pet he’ll be craving again and again.
Chicken is supplemented by organic cane sugar, vinegar, and rosemary extract so your dog is getting a mouth-watering treat but consuming less than 50 calories a bite.
With dog food, less is usually more. Full Moon exemplifies that and these treats should be on any pet owner’s shortlist.
- Protein from sliced human-grade chicken
- No cheap filler to bulk things up
- Limited to 4 ingredients so your dog gets nothing but the best
If your dog is pregnant or you’ve got puppies, the protein-packed high-calorie bundle of human-grade ingredients from The Honest Kitchen will give them all the energy they need.
Dehydrated chicken is the first ingredient here and carbs are sourced from vegetables and other healthy, grain-free options.
All you need to do is mix this dehydrated food up with some warm water and wait 3 minutes before your pooch descends on his bowl with abandon.
You won’t get any genetically modified ingredients here and there’s no inexpensive filler that bloats your dog while providing no benefits. The lean and clean formula focuses on human-grade ingredients at a pocket-friendly price-point. What’s not to love?
- High in protein and calories so makes a good fit for pregnant dogs or puppies as well as healthy adult dogs
- No GMO, cheap byproducts or preservatives
- Free range chicken and organic produce to give your dog a meal to relish
Well, with that comprehensive batch of dog food reviews nailed, you should have a clear idea of the best foods across all categories.
Whether you want to give your dog an occasional treat, you need to cater for sensitivities or you’re looking for some human-grade food suitable for everyday use, you’re in safe hands with any of the products we’ve looked at today.
Bookmark our site and we hope you come to consider us your go-to resource for all things pet-related. Follow us on social media and don’t forget to come back soon!